Monday, January 19, 2009

Death brings new life

My grandmother passed away this past week. I have been overwhelmed with emotions. I am sad and yet the same time, overjoyed for her. She is in no pain, no sorrow, no sadness. She is with her son, her sisters, her parents. And she is with my Taylor. I told her just moments before she passed away to give him a squench for me. How I long for that day. It was amazing to be in the hospital room with her, knowing that Taylor's spirit was in that room.

She had suffered a pretty severe hemorrhage in her heart and the doctors tried everything, but just couldn't control the bleeding. She wasn't in any pain, but just looked so uncomfortable. My sister suggested that we sing. I thought to myself, "Sing? Here?" But as I saw her and my Uncle start to sing, my grandmother nodded and was so grateful. It was almost as if she closed her eyes and was comfortable for the first time in 2 days. So, I started to sing with them. I thought it meant a lot to her since she knew that she wasn't alone. I knew that on the other side of the veil that she wouldn't be alone. I wanted her to know that we were there and that we sure loved her. She mouthed to me that she loved me and I will never forget that sweet moment.

I know that she has new life now. She is happy and free! I am a better person because of her and her example. Just months before her passing, I was able to show her my scrapbook of Taylor. She mentioned that you could feel the emotions in each picture as if they jumped out at you. It brought back memories of her baby sister, who also was stillborn. My grandma was very positive about the plan of salvation and that I would indeed raise Taylor someday. She wrote me a card after Taylor's death and I wanted to share it:
"We were sorry to hear of the loss of your sweet Taylor James. We don't know why these things happen but we know that the Lord loves you and Heavenly Father will bless you- because He has promised blessings to those that mourn. The prophet Joseph said that sometimes spirits are too pure to have to live in the world where there is so much evil, sickness and sin all around us. We are grateful to the Savior for his atoning sacrifice- and it makes Christmas a little more special as we think of His resurrection-"And because He lives, we too shall live.""

3 comments:

Daisygirl said...

Your Grandmother sounded like a wonderful person. Im so sorry for your families loss. What a beautiful letter she wrote to you about baby James.

Duffin Fam said...

Julie I have so much going through my head right now that your blog as brought me some peace. Even though you don't always know it, you seem to bring me comfort. Thank You!

Keri said...

thanks for sharing that letter from grandma... it is good to hear her own words at this hard time for us!